Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Additional Assignment #1

Before having this assignment,I had never heard of neither Google Squared nor WolframAlpha. However, I see now that they both offer quick paths to information that is relevant and factual. In Google Squared, I was able to quickly find information not only in paragraph form but also in tables and charts. This enabled me to cut out much wasted as compared to if I were just using the usual Google search engine.

WolframAlpha is also a great tool. On this website, again, I was able to get right to the basis of what I was really searching for with out wasting time. When I decided to randomly type in, "pregnancy" it immediately gave me a definition, it's pronunciation, and synonyms along with other information. The information given from this search engine is also factual and straight to the point.

These search engines are ideal for students and professionals to use on a day to day basis. They cut out a lot of wasted time for a few reasons. One is that they go straight to what you are probably searching for. Additionally, I wouldn't have to search multiple sites in determining which is most relevant and reliable as to what I am searching for.

After revisiting my blog portion on "Did You Know?," Dr. Strange's comments definitely put that video into perspective. As a whole, the US has such a large landmass that I guess we sometimes forget that we really are not that big in terms of population. Furthermore, for the countries with large populations, such as China and India, it would only make sense that they would be the world leaders. In my opinion is that those who are in control would be those with the most manpower.

So, from this excercise I have learned not to take a statistic for "face-value." You really have to think about what you are looking at and why that number is there.





Food for Thought: It amazes me how we are so advanced in technology and yet they are so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment