Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog #2 Video Response

Did You Know?

My response to this video is that I am somewhat shocked. Before watching this video, my perception of the US was that we were more technologically advanced than other countries. However, it seems to me that we are not taking advantage of all that there is to be offered. I was surprised to see that India was so much farther ahead of us in education. When I think of India, I visually picture poverty with dirt roads and cattle roaming the streets. Therefore this was the most shocking part of the video.

So, I believe that technology is developing faster than the US can keep up with. Maybe it is because other countries like China and India have larger populations and therefore have the ability to stay on top of technological advances. Maybe it is because citizens of the Southeastern United States are "stuck in our ways" and do not want change. These are just a couple of my theories that I can come up with. But, I do know that from watch the video I am more aware of where we truly stand.


Mr. Winkle Wakes

In Mr. Winkle Wakes, Mr. Winkle finds himself in a strange time that he did not know anything of from his time. Everything is different from the way a business office runs to a hospital. But, the one thing that did remain familiar to him was the school. I thought that was an interesting point how over a hundred years there had been so many technological advances but not as many were seen in the schools.

It seems to me that education would be one of the top priorities for our government to focus on with getting our future leaders ready for a more advanced time. If we do not educate our children now on technology then they could be like Mr. Winkle in the future. We may not be able to compete with the other more advanced countries like China and India.


The Importance of Creativity

Ken Robinson's talk brought about many good points in a comical sort of way. I had never thought of the school systems killing children's creativity until now but I do see where there is some validity to that. One of his main points that I agree with is that it is okay to be wrong in order to be creative. How else are you truly going to learn something if you do not try. Even today when I am sitting in my college classes I am hesitant to speak up in class on the fear of being wrong.

From this lecture, I am taking away a new perspective on creativity. When I am teaching in the classroom one day I am going to encourage and support my students original thoughts. It is true that they are the future and we will need this originality and creativity when they are running the country.


Harness Your Students Digital Smarts

One of the first points that I took out of this video is that with more technology, more students will be able to succeed. Like Vicki Davis said, "not all students can learn with paper and pencil." Technology also introduces more terms to broaden the students vocabulary. With the advancement of technology, I see these terms as actually being useful and something that they can use in day-to day-life.

Technology is also something that students and teachers are able to learn together. Since technology is constantly changing they can learn the latest trend together. Technology also encourages people to do independent learning like that of which we are doing in our class.

2 comments:

  1. Kellie,

    I really like your theories, and I would agree on them. I think a lot of Americans are arrogant, and "we" think we are the greatest! I think for us to truly implement change, we need to change our attitudes. If we allow this mentality to influence our perception, do you think this could affect how we interact with students who aren't English speakers? We have to be extremely careful with this.

    I also think that Education should be a priority, but obviously it isn't. Teachers are the foundation of Education. Without us, there wouldn't be school! It appears that most people only care about sports, and because of this, I think our students' educations are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sum all the points up very well. I think that creativity and technology need to be used more often in the classroom. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete