Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blog #3

A Vision of Students Today

When watching the video, I felt that many of their points were not relevant to the experiences that I have had at the University of South Alabama. I feel that I am satisfied with the education that I have received thus far and that, overall, I have had good experiences within the classroom. I believe that technology is not used as much on our campus when compared to this classroom setting. In comparison to the classroom setting being portrayed in the video, the class size at USA is much smaller, most students still take notes with pen and paper (not computer) and that a large majority of my professors have taken the time to get to know me when I approached them.

I think that technology in a college setting can be both good and bad. Good, because it allows us to communicate fasters. But also, bad, because the personal side of students and professors getting to know each other is lost. So, what I would do differently in this video would be taking the main point in a different direction. I would focus more on what technologies effects are having on today's college student. How is the college experience different today than it was 20 years ago? Maybe colleges and universities are still stuck in the past and technology is changing so rapidly that the deans and professors can not keep up with it.


It's Not about the Technology

Mrs. Hines brought about many good points on technology that I can agree with. There is no doubt that technology is creating newer ways of how people function in life. Funding for the latest programs and innovations is being put into use in American schools. However, if teachers are not educated on how to use these new programs then what's the point of putting the money there?

I believe that teachers have to be willing to move on towards the future so that the children will also be prepared to for even more technological advances to come. Perhaps, this could start early on in the education system. What is the schools were to take less of a focus off of history and make more time for computer programming classes. Since history does have a way of repeating itself, I believe that it is essential that students understand the past. But, we are suppose to be preparing them for the future and the only way that this will really happen is to embrace the future ourselves.


Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Some could say that Mr. Fisch's comments were a little extreme but I agree with most of what he had to say. First and foremost, it is my belief that we must be able to understand computers in order to be an active member of today's society. I agree with his point that as great and as vast as technology is today, it still can be used merely as a simple tool to help us teach. But once again, teachers must first have at least a basic understanding of technology.

Teachers today must be willing to continue to learn new technologies and be willing to change with them. Mr. Fisch made a very profound statement by saying that, "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." I believe that the educational systems of the US are still stuck 1970's where knowing how to read and write were probably the main two requirements of being a teacher. In that day and age, if you could read and write then you had just about the complete capability of being able to learn something yourself and then go out and teach it to others.


Social Media Count

All of these topics that having changing statistics at such rapid rates all have one thing in common. That is, that they all pertain to some sort of Internet and computer technology. These statistics are evidence that there are more people using technology than ever before. Technology is truly the future of all modernized life. So, we must embrace and move with it. If we do not then we will be stuck in the past and unable to function with all societies across the globe.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kellie,
    In my post, on my blog, I stated most of the statements in "A Vision of Students Today" are a choice. We have chosen to attend college, pay the fees associated, and we choose whether or not to get to know our educators. I agree with you on the pen and paper! Even in the courses where we have power point presentations, I print them off and take notes on the side of them.

    Many of the teachers I had in high school did not know much about technology and I am sad to say when they had the chances to learn, they did not. Educators should be accountable to learn along with us and learn about tools that could help in our education. Many are stuck in their "old" way of teaching and it works for them. During my observations I had a teacher tell me that wonderful old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I had asked why she didn’t have a smart board in her room yet. The school could only afford a few at a time. She told the administrators to give them to the other teachers and hopefully by the time she was to get one she would be retired. That is the mindset of so many these days. We can change that.
    Jennifer Inscore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Kellie!

    This debate over whether or not to use new technologies is one that has gone on through the ages and will continue. Basically for some reason people resist change of any kind. I can remember my grandmother refusing to use a microwave. But, now a microwave is just as common (if not more common) than a basic stove. How many people do you see refusing to use a cordless telephone or a remote control? I think the same is true for technology in the classroom. Its only a mater of time.

    Your blog is looking good. Be sure to proof read before posting. Otherwise, keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete