Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

Answer these questions in your post. Identify any other issues that you think are important or useful to discuss.

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?

Absolutely, without doubt anybody could learn to do anything if it is their will. Not only was this proven with the children in India and the computer they were given but even in normal day-to-day life. Personal example would be that I do not know how to cook until I read a recipe. Once I follow that recipe multiple times I begin to not rely on it as much until I do not need it anymore. Therefore, I have taught myself how to make that dish.

2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?

A motivated learner can be anyone. Like I said before, the children in the rural areas of the world were given a computer with no instructions and no adult help.  Yet, they were able to figure out how to play games and how to record themselves in just a matter of days. So, absolutely children are able to learn on their own. 


3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
I believe that the only true condition is that the person must be motivated and have a will to learn.  However, the advancement of technology is also a positive aspect. Technology is not necessarily a must for children to teach themselves but I believe that it definitely help.  Computers offer many advantages ranging from arithmetic games like shown in the video to search engines.  With Internet search engines, students can read and learn about anything that they have an interest in.



4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
Like I mentioned in the previous question, computers offer tools for learning that cannot be offered by any given teacher.  The Google searches done by the kids in the video prove this. The students were given a term in different language of their own and yet they were able to figure out what it was that he was asking for.



5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?
I believe that motivation is the most important part to this equation. If the students are not motivated then they will not want to learn.  Furthermore, the students must stay motivated to keep their interest alive in order to keep learning.



6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
It seems to me that problems and questions would be a great thing in the process. Problems would encourage the children to learn even more to solve it. In any given learning environment,  you must ask questions in order to learn. If you don't ask questions then you will not be able to further your knowledge on any given topic.



7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
You have to be excited about something yourself. If you do not show general interest then why would anybody else?  No one is going to want to listen to you if you're boring or have a negative attitude. Not only be excited, but you must also have something to show. Whether it be dated PC's like the ones in the video or just pictures from your last family vacation. People tend to have more interest in things that they can visualize. 



8. How are you motivated to learn? 
As an adult, I stay motivated to learn for many reasons. My motivation to learn in college are based upon many reasons. Firstly, because I know that chances are I will not get very far into a career without a college education. Secondly, because I do not want to waste money. If I stay on top of my classes and do not get behind then I do not have to worry about finding the money to retake them. In my personal life, I stay motivated to learn about current events around the globe in order to be a more well rounded person.


9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn, learn?
After pondering this question for a few minutes, my answer is no. In school, students may not want to learn all of their subjects but there is some sort of motivation. This motivation could come from parents, teachers, guidance counselors and even friends. Any of these people could encourage the students which is what may give them their motivation. 


10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
I feel like I have been teaching myself in EDM 310 this entire semester. While I do have help should I ever need it, I have still been successfully completing  my assignments. But it has been a good experience. Why would I need to sit behind a desk for at least 3 hours a week when I am completely capable of teaching  myself?



11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
I feel that Dr. Strange and his staff have been excellent for going to with general questions. However, I have yet to need to ask them exactly step by step on how to complete an assignment. In EDM310 I feel that the teaching staff are, more or less, class moderators. 

12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
The most important idea would be that children truly are capable of teaching themselves and do, really, just about anything that adults can do with technology. They just need the right tools and a little bit of encouragement.


13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers.
I feel that aspiring teachers should look into giving children more time for doing group learning and less time standing at the black board. In group learning, students are able to get into the subject for themselves rather than just hearing about it from the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment