Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Assignment #10

An Open Letter to Educators by Morgan Bayda

As a whole, I will have to say that I agree with the thoughts of both Morgan Bayda and Dan Brown. I have the same experience that I enter a classroom with at least 50 other people where the professor makes no attempt to get to know the class and his teaching styles are power point lectures full of FACTS. These facts have little to do with what I am trying to accomplish in becoming a teacher. While it is true that an elementary teacher will need a broad knowledge of basic concepts in many areas like science, math and history. But knowing every little detail of the Cold War for a final exam is not going to make me a better teacher. If the time comes that I ever need to go over Cold War facts for my students, I can just as easily look them up on Google then, as I can now. Like Dan Brown said, this is the "information age" and the information in today's text books  are the same information being offered online. So it seems to me that something does need to change in the institutional education. We need to be more focused on preparing people for job specific careers and while doing so cut down on the high and wasted cost of today's higher education.



Two Questions That Can Change Your Life

I believe that motivation is something that is instilled in all college students. Like mentioned in the movie, motivation is what gives us the drive to become who we want  to be. At night, I am not sure that I have ever given thought to whether I was better today than I was yesterday. However, making a conscious effort to be a better person tomorrow than I was today is not a bad a idea. Sure, everybody has their moments or days when nothing seems to go right but that shouldn't stop us from our drive to get things accomplished. I am starting to see that as a challenge to strengthen our own various skills, be it whatever we are working at. So, what is my sentence?  I am a college junior working to become a well-rounded student given my current circumstances of various learning techniques so that when I graduate I can inspire others to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment