Monday, November 1, 2010

Additional Assignment #3






Changing Paradigms by Sir Ken Robison

One of the most important things that I believe that he had to say was one of the first, which he based all of his other arguments off of. That is, we are still using the same educational system from over 100 years ago. The times have completely changed in ways that now EVERY person is entitled to an education and the economies for which we are preparing students has also changed. When the educational system first developed, students were prepared for an industrious economy. They were also prepared in a way that guaranteed that some students would be more successful than other, which also has not changed. Robison went onto mention students with ADD and ADHD. These perhaps were the students back then they may not have succeeded but in today's society where we want everyone to succeed, these children are being medically treated. ADD students are being "calmed down" with powerful drugs that do not allow them to creatively express themselves.

As you can tell, his lecture really made me think about education today and I do not believe that there was anything that I had to disagree with what Sir Robison said. Since I have only recently changed my major into the College of Education at South Alabama, I am not sure where there is agreement and disagreement within our own program. However, I do know that today's teachers, as a whole, are not being prepared for very much change within the system (aside from EDM 310, of course). Personally, I believe that students are entitled to the same opportunity as any other child. Some children do learn in different ways are different paces than others so I believe that classes such as PACE in elementary education are great. Although, I believe that it is just not enough.

I believe that every educator can do something to address the positions that he raises. It may not be much individually,  but as a whole I  think it could do a ssplendor of good. Teacher today could be more conscious to what they are really preparing their students for. Again, it is not the same industrial economy. Today, it is a fast-paced society where information and lines of communication only takes split-seconds. Having more classes based around the ideas of ours (EDM 310) could allow for students to learn how to not only communicate effectively but also learn at their own pace.

In a project like this, I feel that I could attribute by gathering information as an author. I love to find out new information and then interpret it for what it's really worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment